Local Great Outdoors:
Cordova Pass Trailhead Parking/Day Use, Cuchara Creek Parking/Day Use Areas, Purgatoire. Visit the La Veta Trails website, www.lavetatrails.org for descriptions of trails and trail heads. The Cuchara’s River Bed and Breakfast will also have trail maps for sale.
Local Fitness Center & Trails:
Check out La Veta’s Spanish Peaks Cycling Association, Two Peaks Fitness and La Veta Trails.
Take a Scenic Drive:
For recreation there is hiking and fishing in our high mountain lakes and National Forest. Mountain biking, camping, and horseback riding. Go enjoy the history of Uptop Ghost Town on Old La Veta Pass. Just one hour's drive from La Veta is the spectacular Great Sand Dunes National Park.
Explore the San Isabel Valley:
Follow trails through tall evergreens and quaking aspens. Stand on rock outcroppings and survey the valleys and vistas as they tumble upon each other to the horizon. Sit under a tree and listen...to the songs of the birds, the wind, the trees...the song of the mountains. Relax you're in the Cuchara Valley.
- Check out the Royal Gorge
- Hike a section of the Colorado Trail
- Hike (or drive) up West Peak and Trinchera Peak
- Walk along the river in town
- Wahatoya State Wildlife Area
- Visit Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek
- Scenic drive on Hwy 12 past Monument and North Lakes (great fishing) and Stonewall